Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Change


I consider myself to be a completely bi-partisan owl. Since I change homes every year, it makes the most sense. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that I could be in a very conservative home one year and a very liberal home the next, indeed that very thing has happened once or twice. So from the standpoint of wishing to preserve my sanity, I tend to stay out of politics for the most part.

There are exceptions, of course. Sometimes events occur which blur the political lines of divisiveness and bring us together as a nation - things that we experience with the full knowledge that we are living through history. Today is undeniably one of those days.

Here's something The White House and I have in common: I inhabit a new home every year; it is inhabited by new people every four (or eight) years. The White House and I, we're no strangers to the concept of change - as a matter of fact, it is an inherent part of our existence. We both carry some history, too. I represent the traditions and history of a family; it represents the traditions and history of a nation.

Today The White House changed hands. As it does. Except this time was different. Even from my strictly bi-partisan stance, it is impossible to argue the fact that history was made today. Today, one short day after the 80th anniversary of the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., President Barack Obama was sworn into office amidst promises of change and hope. Change is a way of life for me - certainly something I embrace rather than fear. Hope? Couldn't we all use a little hope in these troubling times?


I am very interested and excited to see what the next four years will bring.

No comments: